Looking for ideas to welcome new neighbors? Here are 5 Warm Ways to Welcome a New Neighbor to Your Little Part of the World!
When I was growing up, we loved getting a new neighbor! Whenever someone new moved in to the neighborhood, my Mom and I would make chocolate chip meringue cookies and bring them over to our new neighbors to say “Welcome to the Neighborhood!”. I remember licking the paddles of my Mom’s classic white Kitchen Aid and taking the meringues out of the oven. Would they be nice and stiff and puffy? Then, putting them on a plate and walking them down the street to the new neighbors.
Here are 5 Warm Ways You Can Welcome Your New Neighbor(s):
- A Plate of Homemade Cookies or Muffins! This is the classic! I did it when I was growing up, and now that I am all grown up, I still think that it is a magical way to make a friend. Who can resist? The new neighbor opens their door with you standing there with a big smile on your face and a plate of cookies in your outstretched arms. Here’s my Madeleine Recipe if you want to deviate a bit from the classic cookies or muffins. **Bonus: Also include your name, phone number and email on a piece of paper so that your neighbor can easily contact you.
- Bring Over a Bunch of Flowers! Use a simple vase and gather what you can from around you. You could even re-use a glass jar from your recycling bin. Wildflowers are beautiful. Or, stop by your local florist and pick out a simple bouquet or a houseplant. Again, remember to include your contact info so they know who to turn to when they have a quick question.
- Take a Walking Tour of the Neighborhood! You can introduce your new neighbor to your favorite route and get to know them at the same time. You can always offer to make a weekly time to walk together and this is something that can be continued pretty much all year round.
- Invite Your New Neighbor for Coffee or Tea! You can invite your neighbor into your home. This is the perfect ice-breaker! If you love to bake, this is an opportunity for you to make your favorite recipe or to try something new. If you are short on time, why not meet at your favorite local coffee shop?
- Offer to Share Information or Tips about the Neighborhood! No, I don’t mean gossip (not at first, at least!). Your new neighbor may be looking for a hair stylist, manicurist, a dentist, a doctor, a plumber, someplace to work out, or a good coffee shop. Do you know of a good doctor who has Saturday drop-in hours? Let your new neighbor know! What night should they put the trash out? Let them know! These are the little things that can help someone feel at home right away.
While you are here … Did you know that all my images are SHARE-ABLE? Yep. It’s true. I create an image a day for YOU to share/use with your friends and followers! Find a photo you like (I think it is easiest done from Facebook) and hit the “share” button.