Some Days You’ve Just Got to Bake! TWD: Pfefferneusse Cookies

HEY TUESDAY! Its a great day to BAKE! Today I’m sharing my results of Dorie Greenspan’s Pfefferneusse Cookies along with the other bakers at Tuesdays with Dorie

Some Days You've Just Got to Bake! Tuesdays with Dorie: Dorie Greenspan's Pfefferneusse Cookies

It was fun making these cookies with all the spices and the house smelled delicious! I loved the smell of the fresh zest with the sugar. I had never heard of or eaten Pfefferneuse Cookies before.

The recipe, which you can download from Dorie’s site right HERE, calls for a lot of spice, including pepper and dry mustard!

Dorie Greenspan's Pfefferneusse Cookies

Finding the Ingredients in rural France: I was able to find cardamom, but wasn’t able to find any dry mustard,…so I went without! (I suppose I could have ordered it from a British site, but I didn’t think it would be something I would use much of, so I let it go). I was also not able to find pecans, so I used chopped pistachio instead. I used Clementines for my zest which I think was a perfect choice!

Overall, I didn’t love the resulting cookies. I found them too dry and didn’t love the pepper in the cookies.  But I have them scooped out and put them in the freezer ready to pop in the oven for guests or to add to a cookie plate! (My new goal in life is to have a freezer full of cookies ready to bake at any point in time thanks to Dorie!)

Try the recipe yourself HERE or by picking up a copy of Dorie’s new book, Dorie’s Cookies.

If you want to see how other Tuesdays with Dorie bakers made their recipe, visit this LINK! 🙂

Happy Baking from A Warm Hello!

gigi sig

Subscribe to my Newsletter: FREE STOCK PHOTO EACH WEEKClick Here to Visit A Warm Hello on Facebook

This entry was posted in Add Warmth to Your Table, Baking, TWD and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Some Days You’ve Just Got to Bake! TWD: Pfefferneusse Cookies

1. Peggy says:

What a great idea to have them ready to go when guests arrive! These were just okay for me. Good, but not great. But i wouldn’t pass one up if you offered to me!
    Peggy recently posted…TWD…Christmas Spiced CookiesMy Profile

2. Diane Zwang says:

Great idea keeping them in the freezer for future use. I also freeze my cooked cookies for another time.
    Diane Zwang recently posted…Christmas Spice CookiesMy Profile

3. Kim says:

It is hard finding all the ingredients sometimes! Good job for improvising!

4. Kayte says:

I always love hearing about your baking adventures in France…so interesting and fun to hear what you sub in for things you can’t find. All that work and you didn’t like them much, if we lived closer, I could take those off your hands, lol. They certainly look perfect.
    Kayte recently posted…TWD Dorie’s Cookies: Christmas Spice CookiesMy Profile

• awarmhello says:

Thank you Kayte! I still check google while I am at the grocery store to find out what ingredients are called here! I also have now realized that my “vanilla” is not really “vanilla”. I’ll have to search a source for pure vanilla extract! Happy Baking! 🙂

5. Cakelaw says:

Your pfefferneusse look lovely, and top marks for giving them a go when you have never heard of them before.

• awarmhello says:

Thank you so much! I love having this group so that I can check out what everyone else has done and how theirs came out. Especially important when you are making something unknown! 🙂

6. summer says:

Your cookies look very nice but I admit they weren’t my favorite either. I had to make a special trip just to get all the ingredients for these cookies but I liked them best with chocolate glaze. I feel the same way about having unbaked cookies in the freezer, so convenient!
    summer recently posted…TWD: Christmas Spice CookiesMy Profile

7. i love your new life goal-haha! i had also never had these cookies before, but liked them and was glad to have tried.